McCann’s Irish Oatmeal® Risotto
Serving size1 serving
Total Fat (g)10
Saturated Fat (g)3
- 2 cups McCann’s® Steel Cut Irish Oatmeal
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (or butter)
- 1/4 cup minced shallots
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 5-6 cups hot unsalted defatted chicken or beef broth
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- salt & pepper to taste
- pinch saffron for color (optional)
- Heat olive oil in heavy saucepan over medium high heat. When hot, add shallots and garlic. Sauté for 3 minutes. Stir in the oats and sauté for about 5 minutes or until oats are glistening.
- Begin by adding the hot broth 1/2 cup at a time (and saffron if used), stirring continuously, until each 1/2 cup has been absorbed. When oats have absorbed enough broth to be a rich, creamy texture with a bit of chewiness left, remove from heat.
- Stir in parsley, lemon juice, cheese, salt and pepper.
- Serve hot.