Frequently Asked Questions
Consumers are more conscious than ever about the food they put on their tables, and rightly so. Fortunately, we have always offered foods that are simple and nutritious. Our whole-grain oats are grown on Irish farms, and minimally processed. We see no need to improve upon or change food that is already made perfectly by nature.
The oats used in the below McCann’s® products are certified Non-GMO by the Non-GMO Project.
- McCann’s® Traditional Steel Cut Irish oatmeal
- McCann’s® Quick & Easy Steel Cut Irish Oatmeal
- McCann’s® Quick Cooking Rolled Oats
- To make Steel Cut Oats, we use whole oat grain “groats,” which are the inner portions of the oat kernel. These are cut into two or three parts using steel discs. That’s it - straight from Mother Nature, gold in color and looking a bit like tiny rice particles. Nothing taken out that Nature put in there.
- Stored in a temperate place - a pantry - our Irish Oatmeal will be good until the Best By Date on the package. Refrigeration will help prolong shelf life.
- Rolled oats start out as steel cut oats and are then softened by steam and literally rolled into flakes of varying thickness. They differ from steel cut oats in their texture, cook time and flavor. Rolled oats tend to taste more “oaty” and less “nutty” than steel cut. They cook faster than steel cut oats and are essential for use in all sorts of recipes!
- The same thing that makes some real estate properties more valuable than others: location, location, location. The conditions in Ireland are especially favorable to the production of bumper crops of some of the finest oats in the world. It’s a “perfect storm” of water quality, soil richness and ideal climatic conditions, especially temperature and rainfall. All these elements contribute to the wonderful nutty taste and fuller, plumper grains of McCann’s® oats - qualities that have been sought after and savored for more than 150 years. It’s an unbroken tradition of quality and goodness that has been pleasing - and will continue to please - the most discerning oatmeal lovers for generations to come.
Oats are a nutritious food containing much of what you need and little of what you don’t. McCann’s® Irish Oatmeal has an especially impressive nutrition profile.
Low Sodium: Most of McCann’s® Irish Oatmeal products are low in sodium, with the exception of Instant Maple & Brown Sugar, Instant Apples & Cinnamon, and our Artisan Collection® Instant Oatmeal. With these, the emphasis is on convenience and variety.
High in B vitamins: McCann’s® Instant Apple Cinnamon, Maple Brown Sugar and Regular are excellent sources of five B vitamins.
Low in Saturated Fat: McCann’s® Irish Oatmeal has just half a gram of saturated fat per serving.
Cholesterol: There is no cholesterol in any products!
Fiber: Irish Oatmeal contains both soluble and insoluble fiber, both of which are essential to good health. Soluble fiber absorbs liquid, expands, and moves bulk through your digestive tract, promoting regularity. And because it is indigestible, the bulk created by soluble fiber helps prevent the absorption of cholesterol.
Oats contain soluble fiber and are low in saturated fat and cholesterol, a combination that may reduce the risk of heart disease. Oats are also low in sodium, which also supports heart health. And, oats contain insoluble fiber, which supports digestive health.